Driving in Japan

To drive in Japan, you need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by a signatory to the 1949 Geneva Convention in conformity with the Convention’s provisions or a Japanese driving license. If you have a valid Finnish driving license, you can convert it into a Japanese driving license. You can find further information on foreign driver’s licenses and IDPs here.

How to convert your Finnish driving license to a Japanese one

1 Contact the nearest Driver’s License Testing and Issuing Center or Driver’s License Center to ask about the required documents, fees, etc.

2 Prepare the required documents and, if you do not speak Japanese, contact an interpreter to help you submit an application.
For example, you can find information about required documents, fees, and qualifications, and FAQs on the website of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department: https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_safety/drivers_licenses/index.files/convert_license_english.pdf

3 Visit the local Center with your documents.
If you drive in Japan with an International Driving Permit
An IDP must be obtained from Autoliitto prior to arriving in Japan.

Please note IDPs are not a medium-to-long term substitute for a Japanese driver’s license, since the IDP shall be valid for one year from the date of issue while you shall be allowed to drive with it for one year from the date of your entry into Japan.