Visas and Consular Services
- For the time being, entry into Japan from all countries and regions including Finland is denied unless special exceptional circumstances are found as part of measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- All the visitors to Japan currently need VISA as visa exemption measures are suspended due to COVID-19. However, new issuance of VISAs is also suspended.
- For further details, please see the MOFA web site or contact the consular section of the Embassy: consular(at)hk.mofa.go.jp
WHEN ENTERING JAPANBorder enforcement measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
1. NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST RESULT
- All travelers including Japanese nationals have to submit a Certificate of Negative Test Result conducted within 72 hours (from the sampling time to departure time of the flight) when entering Japan.
- The certificate requires certain contents according to the Japan’s valid format. It is strongly recommended to use the valid format (Valid Format of Certificate of Negative Test Result) for avoiding troubles when checking in at airport or entering Japan.
- There have been reported some cases of rejection of boarding due to incomplete documents: lack of test date, passport number, test methods, etc. Showing the Check List of certificate contents and Requirements for Certificate of Testing for Entering Japan to staff of medical institution could reduce such troubles.
2. PLEDGEAll Japanese nationals and foreign nationals with the status of residence are required upon entry into Japan to submit a document (click here to find the form of Written Pledge) pledging to follow the rules below;
- Be in quarantine at home or the accommodation where they declared to stay for 14 days after entry
- Refrain from using public transportations for 14 day after entry (Trains, Buses, Cabs/Taxies, domestic flights, etc.)
- Install the COVID-19 contact tracing application (click here to find the details of the app and here for the Q&A ), and keep it activated
- Retain location information through the map application function of the smartphone, and provide the information to the health authorities, if requested,
- Follow the instructions from the health authorities and the infection preventive measures, such as wearing masks, washing hands and avoiding crowded and poorly ventilated spaces.
3. COVID-19 TEST ON ARRIVALAll those who enter including Japanese nationals are also subject to conducting of COVID-19 test upon arrival.
4. THREE-DAY QUARANTINE AT ENTRYFrom 0:00 (JST), April 9, all travelers from Finland to Japan will be requested to stay at specific facilities designated by the Chief of the Quarantine Station (limited to accommodation facilities booked by the Quarantine Station), and then required to take the COVID-19 test again on the third day. Those who have negative result in this test leave the accommodations and are requested to self-quarantine at home or other designated location during the remaining period of 14 days after entering Japan.
5. 14-DAY QUARANTINEAll Japanese nationals and foreign nationals with the status of residence are also required to pledge to refrain from using public transportation for 14 days, and to be in quarantine at home or other designated locations for 14 days, retain the location data, and provide it to the health centers or other institutions, if requested. They are required to sign and submit the Written Pledge when entering Japan as mentioned above.
In case of violation of the pledge, they may be subject to detention under Quarantine Act and the following shall apply:
(i) For Japanese nationals, names and other information that contribute to preventing the spread of infection may be made public.
(ii) For foreign nationals with the status of residence, names, nationalities, and other information that contribute to preventing the spread of infection may be made public. They may also be subject to the revocation of status of residence and procedures for deportation under Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law.
Those who do not submit the “Written Pledge” are requested to stay at a location designated by the Chief of the Quarantine Station (only at the accommodation booked by the quarantine office) for 14 days.