Visa Categories

Before you apply for visa, you are required to read “How to Apply” carefully.
Insufficient application documents are subject to be rejected to issue visa. If your application is rejected, you could not apply for same type of visa for 6 months.

Visa Exemption Arrangement

 (A stay of up to 90 days for tourism, business, visiting friends or relatives, etc. that does not include remunerative activities.)

According to “Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act”, your passport must be valid at the time of entry to Japan.
However, we strongly recommend that your passport should be valid at least for the duration of your stay or even a few months after the trip to be prepared for unforeseeable circumstances because you must carry a valid passport at all time in Japan as provided by the aforementioned act.
Also, please check the conditions of the transit countries before your departure.


In accordance with a general visa exemption agreement between Japan and Finland, Finnish nationals can travel to Japan without a visa for short-term stays that does not include remunerative activities.  However, the stay in Japan should not exceed three months (i.e. 90 days). The exemption concerns Finnish citizens only. Foreigner, who is married to a Finnish citizen, may need a visa. He/she should check the possible exemption of visa before entering Japan.


Nationals of countries and regions that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan are not required to obtain a visa under visa exemption arrangements between Japan and those countries.  Nationals of all other countries and regions must obtain a visa to enter Japan.

Countries and regions that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan
Visa Waiver Arrangement for Qatari Nationals

Visa Categories

Those who must obtain a visa to enter Japan, can apply for one of the following visas:


For the following activities not exceeding 90 days: Sightseeing, Visiting relatives or friends, Recreation, Convalescence, Attending a conference, Participation in unpaid lectures, Meetings, Amateur athletic meetings or other contests, Short business trips (e.g. market surveys, business talks, after sales service for machinery imported into Japan). 
This category excludes profit-making operations and paid activities.
Documents required for application:
Visiting Relatives/Acquaintances
Business trip, Cultural exchange, etc.
Note: Even if you are the subject of a visa exemption arrangement, permission to enter Japan remains at the discretion of the immigration authorities. We advise that you should take supporting documents with you for immigration inspection at the airport such as a return flight ticket, details of host organisation and evidence of sufficient funds for your stay.


Documents required for application:
A Spouse and Child of a Japanese Citizen
Business Trip
Cultural Exchange
Sightseeing, Visiting Relatives/Acquaintances
Note: In some cases you may apply for another visa even if you have a valid multiple-entry visa. For example, you might need to stay in Japan over the days your multiple-entry visa allows or need to stay for another reason (e.g. studying) no longer than 3 months. In these cases, we will consider issuing another visa in addition to the valid multiple-entry visa you have.

Please submit a “Notification” with other application documents when you apply for an additional visa.


To work in Japan, you must apply for the appropriate visa. For detailed information, please click here. Visa applicants for working visas are required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility.
Documents required for application:
Work and Long-term Stay with COE
Rotary Friendship Exchange
Working Holiday
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
Digital Nomad and their Spouse and Child

Note 1: Within 14 days of moving into an address in Japan, Working Visa holders (with the exception of 15 days and 3 months visa holders) must apply for Resident Registration at a local government office near to where they are living (further details).
Note 2: <Entertainer> Applicants and inviters must consult the Regional Immigration Service Bureau whether your activities come under the resident status “Entertainer” or not. If you perform in Japan without obtaining appropriate resident status, you violate the Japanese legislation. The embassy often receive questions from musicians, but we cannot judge whether your activities come under the resident status “Entertainer” or not without applications.
Members of rock bands or similar groups, including non-performing members accompanying the group (e.g. tour managers, sound technicians, etc.), must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a visa. If you have any difficulties to obtain the COE and need to apply for “Entertainer” visa without the COE, you must submit these documents


Finnish diplomatic or official passport holders who intend to engage in official and diplomatic activities need to apply for visas.
Documents required for application


Documents required for application